There is only one truth in my life when it come to the successes and failures that I have experienced: "I am the master of my own destiny." When I am given a challenged, I attempt to face them head on, and attempt to complete each one within a reasonable amount of time or to my some one's satisfaction. Some days I am more successful than others. Yet, when it come to my own future, I never seem to get over that fact that the "unknown" scares me sometimes.The only way I can describe how the unknown appears to me is a path through a dark forest with no known end in sight. I normally find some courage from somewhere and head into that dark forest to see where that path will lead me next. So far, I have been able to come out on the other side of that dark forest. Career wise, the path into that dark forest becomes more difficult and longer with each step. But, the rewards of wandering where fools dare to tread are usually worth the risks that come with the new job. Sometimes, I found myself having to take a little longer through the dark forest because my path becomes harder to walk at times. As I keep getting older, I still find myself making those journeys into one dark forest after another. I guess dealing with the unknown will always be apart of my career life, even if it scares me sometimes.
I think I am more scared of disappointing anyone that places their faith in me to complete a task: Be it an Employee of the Year Award, a Commendation, a transfer to another department or division, or a promotion to a new position or something. I work to justify other's faith in me. That is just who I am. So, when I say that the unknown scares me sometimes, what I am really saying is that, "The unknown scares me sometimes. But, I am okay with being scared of the unknown cause that is when I push myself to find a successful way to rise to the challenge of that unknown." Hence, the unknown can be used in a positive way in my career life when dealt with correctly.
Only time will determine if the choices that I made while walking the path of that dark forest were correct or not. And, only history will show that anything that I have done in life affected anyone in a positive way. Until then, I really can't allow the unknown to scare me into being afraid of making mistakes like my wise old mentor once told me. Worrying about making mistakes will only cause them to still make those same mistakes. Like I said before, the unknown scares me sometimes. But, the unknown is just what it is: The unknown. Nothing less, nothing more. Regardless, I am still master of my own destiny.

No comments:
Post a Comment