October 13, 2009

Functional Capacity Evaluations (FCE)



When workers are injured, it’s not always easy to determine how soon they should return to work or how well they can physically handle their job tasks. A Functional Capacity Evaluation (FCE) is a comprehensive, valid, reliable tool that will help answer these questions. Through the FCE, a physical or occupational therapist works in conjunction with the referring physician. The result is an accurate and objective assessment of what tasks your worker is physically capable of performing and quantify any limitations they have as a result of an injury. The evaluation includes a variety of standardized, simulated work activities that help you:

1) Create accurate lifting restrictions and estimates
2) Compare the employee’s physical capabilities to their job description to determine whether they are ready to resume their duties
3) Determine if further medical treatment is needed
4) Provide support for the physician in assessing

The results of the FCE concisely communicate recommendations for your employee’s current and future work status with evidence that is legally defensible and admissible in court. As a result, the Functional Capacity Evaluation can help facilitate your employee’s return to work, close the case faster, and reduce the total claim expenses.

I unofficially past my FCE this morning. Now, my chances of returning to work soon has just improved my demeanor towards life. And, all I had to do is get off my sad *ss, go to the gym, and keep perfroming my physical therapy stretches and exercises. I even managed to loose some of my gained weight back (20 lbs). The doctor that administered the FCE instructed me to keep doing a good job at the gym even after I return to work. I see no reason to stop my workouts once I return to work...

No comments:

Post a Comment