November 7, 2009

Walking "Pigeon Toed" in order to keep my feet pointing straight...

Before I met my Defensive Line Coach at Sam Houston State University (SHSU), Tommy Adams, I used to walk and run with my feet pointing outward. Coach Adams observed how I was moving around during the football practices. And, he decided me to stop moving around with my feet pointing outward. Coach Adams instructed me to start moving around "Pigeon toed" from there on out. So, I began walking and running as if I was pigeon toed. Coach Adams explained to me that I was loosing speed while allowing my feet to point outward while running. If I was to start moving around while pigeoned toed, then eventually my feet will began to straighten out. According to Coach Adams, this simple exercise would eventually cause me to have better movement around on the football field.

Hours turned into days, days turned into months, and months turned into years while performing this daily exercise with my feet. Eventually, as Coach Adams predicted, I began walking and running around with my feet pointing straighter than I did before I began playing college football. Walking with straight feet was suddenly "second nature" to me. Coach Adams knew what he was talking about. Even after graduating from college, I find myself still practicing walking as if I was pigeon toed in order to ensure that my feet stay straight while I am walking. I even did throughout my workout in the gym today. And, the first person I thought about while doing it was my Coach Tommy Adams. Some may forget the life lessons that their high school and college coaches instilled onto them. But, I'm not embarrassed to tell anyone that my college defensive line coach had me walking "Pigeon Toed" in order to keep my feet pointing straight.

So on that note, I would like to say "thanks" Coach Adams for everything that you taught me about life "on and off the football field". I'll never forget the many of things that you taught me as a mentor and role model, sir. I miss our talks that we sued to have in college. And, may you always be resting in peace somewhere up there in Heaven...

No comments:

Post a Comment