November 4, 2009

Some people from my long past just need to stay themselves in my long past...

I got a call today from a person that I have not spoken to in years. We started out as Internet friends. And, I allowed my ole friend to stay the weekend at my place a couple of times because She seemed like a cool, hard working person to hang out with when she would visit from out of town. I even donated some money to one of their charity causes. Well, days turn into months, months turn into years, people in life eventually loose touch with each other. People eventually build new friendships with other people. And, during those years, we all attempt to gain some new insights and real world experiences with each passing moments. So, as I was saying earlier, I got a call from a person that I have not spoken to in years.

I was at work when I got this call. While she was sounding like she was happy to finally get in touch with me after all these years, all I could think about is why she is deciding to call me after all these years? Why now? When I'm at work, I'm at work. I usually do not like people to try to have a long conversation with me when I'm at work cause it is usually pretty hectic where I work at. And, one would think if someone has not spoken to them in years there is usually a good reason for that doing that to them.

So, while my ole friend is attempting to catch up with my life's story during that telephone call, all I am telling her that I'm working. Hint, hint. Meaning I can;t talk with her at that moment. But, my friend has not grasped the fact that I am a little busy doing some "work" and I am unable to stop and catch her up to speed with my life since we last talked. So, I finally tell my ole friend that I am a little busy to be talking with her right now. She asked for me to call her later in the evening about something important that she wanted to talk with me about. Oh, oh. I hate conversations from people in my past that want to talk about something important that they need to talk with me about.

Those kinds of conversations, from people from my long past experiences, means that they usually want to stay at my place for the weekend (in the near future) while they are visiting from out of town. Or, they want some type of financial endowment (loan, charity donation, etc.) from me for something. Either way, they want something for nothing from me with those types of "important" conversations. And, I am not really in the mood for those types of important conversations from people from my past.

But, what if a person really has something important to talk about? Then, my answer would be that person should have cut straight to the point while they had my temporary attention at that time instead of beating around the bush with whatever they have to tell me. In my sometimes fast pace life, "If you snooze with your words with me, then you will immediately loose my attention span during that telephone conversation." If a person from my long past is calling to just say hello, I'm cool with that call. If a person from my long past is calling to let me know that one of our mutual high school or college alumni has passed away, I'm cool with that call. Otherwise, some people from my long past just need to stay themselves in my long past...

No comments:

Post a Comment